Homepage Forum Spanking Art Gallery Oekaki Drawing Board Art Contests Roleplaying Forums Spanking Video Games Spanking Stories and Fiction Spanking Video Downloads of Animes Social Groups Register an account Rules Frequently Asked Questions

Go Back   AnimeOTK > The Creative Corner > Tutorials

Tutorials The tools and tips of the trade from our own artists; look no further!

Want to get rid of the annoying adverts? The answer is simple. There are 4 levels of advertising on AnimeOTK:

Level 1: (Your Level, guests and members with 0-9 posts) has maximum advertising.
Level 2: (A user with 10 or more posts who has been a member over two weeks) have vastly reduced advertising (including removal of the large full screen closable adverts)
Level 3: (A member who has been registered over a month and has over 50 posts, or has a special account like "artist" or "writer" sees minimal advertising.
Level 4: (VIP Donators) receive no advertising.
All donators of $10 or more will never see an advert on our site again!

Photoshop Tricks
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Cc
Artist

Lightbulb Photoshop Tricks

In another thread in this Artists area, _cf made the suggestion of a tutorial thread. Well, this isn't so MUCH a tutorial thread as a post your own tricks you use for different coloring and other effects for the public. This particular thread will be dedicated to users who use programs such as Adobe Photoshop. There's other programs that are similar.

A few guidelines to go by for posting tips and tricks on this thread~
1.) State the exact type of Photoshop the trick is for (Eg: Adobe Photoshop CS2)
2.) Include in the beginning of the post (and/or in the title) what the trick is used for (Eg: Layers guide)
3.) Use proper and accurate tool names in your instructions
4.) Clearly give instructions on what tools to use, when, and where they are located (or button short cuts)
5.) Also state if you use a tablet or scanned pictures, and what process you may use (Eg. pencil art, inked art, etc)

Please artists, contribute so everyone can learn how to do their art in a possibly improved way. Thanks!

A few tricks from Me (and a few by_cf, too)
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Cc
Artist

Wink A few tricks from Me (and a few by_cf, too)

_cf gave me a few of these tips, and I added a lot of my own. Many of these tips are just basic know how, but they are definitely helpful. Especially for PS n00bs. x3

*Using pencil or inked art with a scanner, and a version of Adobe Photoshop

For keeping your line art separate from color, and colors seperate from one another:
Layers are your friends. By using layers you can not only leave the outline of your art untouched, but you can create separate layers for every aspect of your work, for quick, clean coloring and shading.

Start by creating a separate line-art layer~ MAKE SURE THE LAYERS WINDOW IS VISIBLE (In the menu bar go to Window>Layers. Make sure it's checked)
After scanning your pencil art, it will usually arrive in photoshop as the background layer. The first thing to do is to make a copy of the lineart into a layer: right-click the background at the layers tab, and choose duplicate layer. Name this layer as "line art".

Make the background invisible (click the eye at the layer tab) so that you're only seeing the line art layer. Click once on it to make sure that's selected.

Then it's generally a good idea to use the autolevels tool on the line art layer (shift+ctrl+L) to darken the pencil and whiten the paper.

To paint, set the blending mode of the line art layer to Multiply (look for a select box at the layers tab which currently reads "Normal" and change it to "Multiply"). Now create a new layer for the color (In the menu bar go to Layer>New>Layer (Shft+Ctrl+N)), and put it BELOW the line art (grab the color layer with the mouse and move it under the line art layer). Choose a color brush and paint on the color layer. You'll see that the line art will not be affected by the color brush, even as you cross it.

I recommend making a new layer each time you color a different part of the picture to avoid bleeding.
Eg: Keeping skin and clothes separate. Create a layer and name it Skin. Color all skin areas, and create a new layer, naming it clothes. You pull this layer so it's under both skin and line art layers (the layers at the top of the Layers window are the ones that appear on top) and color. You will see the skin areas you colored previously are untouched by your clothing colors if your brush strays over skin areas.

More tips on coloring:

*To quickly paint, you can still use the Magic Wand tool (In the tools window, it looks like a stick with a firework exploding out the end), choosing the "Use all layers" option (It's a check box under the menu bar when the Magic Wand tool is selected.) This tool selects all the area within closed lines. Careful that your pencil/ink lines all touch or else you might run into annoying issues with it, later. So, you select the area, and grab the brush tool, and color away inside the selected area till its completely colored. This is a lot faster than trying to do it with the brush tool alone.

*Remember to use the eraser tool to clean up any areas you messed up on.

*As long as the selected layer is one of the color layers, there will be no risk of messing with the line art as you select large areas to quickly paint them.

*The Eyedropper tool helps you quickly match colors you previously made if the color is somewhere on your picture. Just click the color area you want on the picture, and it selects that color for next time you use the brush, etc.

*Be aware of different brush styles and sizes. You can create softer looks with different brushed, and different effects with other brushes. Sizes are in a pretty much limitless variety for all your needs.

*When in brush modes you can change the Opacity or Flow of a brush by percentages. This can create transparent effects, or lighter shades of colors.

Eg: You want to use a transparent effect to make water look semi see-through. Pick a brush and a color and set te Opacity down to 50%. The line art and other colors will remain (if your layers are in the right order) semi transparent.

OR...you want to create a blushing effect, or even better, a pink/red spanked bottom. On the skin layer select a brush (with soft edges recommended, at an appropriate size) and select a bright shade of red. Then set the opacity down to maybe...25-20%. This creates a soft but not overwhelming shade of realistic pinkish red over the cheeks, whichever set you're coloring (~Note the to create an even shade you must click only one and drag the brush--multiple clicks on the same spot will eventually lead to the actual color without transparency)

*Finding the color you want: In the Color Window, there are various view options to your preference. On the RGB sliders mode, you can quickly click a color area and pull the sliders to find a color in the right range, and fine tune it by double-clicking the box with the color in it. A new window appears with an even finer array of color options.

*Switching a scanned picture to RGB mode
In the Menu bar, click Image > Mode > and check RGB Color. This will open the picture to be colorable if it was in Grayscale mode. (Only black white and grays)

---> Shading and Lighting Tips:

Use the Lock transparent pixels tool (in the Layers window, beside Lock:, it appears as a checkered box) to lock the uncolored areas of a layer. This prevents you from coloring anywhere outside the already filled areas. With this, you can select a layer you want to add shading effects to (use the color window to find a darker or lighter shade and select an appropriate brush) and apply the darker/lighter color where needed. With the layer's transparent pixels locked, you can color easily on whichever layer you have selected without going outside of your already color filled areas. This is good for clean shading. Remember to unlock the layer when you're finished (failure to do so may cause errors later, eg: with the eraser tool).

--> *Saving Layered .psd images into JPEG or another Internet Friendly version:
In the Menu bar, click File > Save For Web...Alt+Shift+Ctrl+S [If you do not have Image Ready, this option may not be available depending on your PS version)
A new window appears with an actual size of your picture preview, all layers combined to be your final product. *HERE YOU CAN ALSO RESIZE YOUR IMAGE TO THE SIZE YOU WANT!!!
On the right side of the window, select the image type (JPEG, GIF, etc...)
You can also change the quality percentile to make the space (eg: kb) your image takes up smaller. However the smaller the percent, the worse the picture looks. It all displays in the preview window.

TO RESIZE

In the Save For Web Window
On the right side of the window, where Color Table is the tab selected, select the second tab, "Image Size." Here you can change the pixel size and click "Apply" to preview the size. Make sure the "Constrain Proportions" check box is selected to avoid warping your picture. When you reach a satisfactory size, click Save at the top of the window on the right. It will then ask you where you want to save this new picture (~~Note that if you save as a GIF, JPEG, etc, it merges all layers together so that you can no longer open it and change it in Photoshop the way you did while layered. In case you want to change parts f the pictures, be sure to do regular the regular Save (Ctrl+S) option, making sure the file is saved as a .psd file.)

From the Menu Bar
In the menu bar, click Image > Image Size...(Ctrl+Alt+I)
In the new window that opens you can again change the pixel properties to change the size of your image. Use to magnifying glass tool to Zoom In and Zoom Out of the picture.

Finally, Edit Undo is your friend. If you scribble all over your work in frustration then calm down again, you can Undo it either by clicking Edit >Undo (Most recent single step) / Edit > Step Backward (Multiple steps back)
Keyboard Shortcuts:
Undo (Ctrl+Z)
Step Backward (Alt+Ctrl+Z)

~Note that saving your work disables you from going to any steps you did before the save point, so careful.

Frequent saving is recommended, especially if your PC is prone to random freezes or crashes. It's one of the most disheartening things to pour hours into coloring a pic, and not saving it throughout the process at all, to lose all your work when Photoshop decides to be a betch and freeze. So, be wary.

Anyways that's all the basic tips and tricks I know, or atleast can think of at 2:30 in the morning. If you have questions about anything in this post PM me, or post it here, and I'll eventually respond one way or another.

Thanks and I hope it's helpful! If you have any Questions about trying to achieve a certain look/texture/etc just ask and I'll see if I can come up with a solution!

Old January 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
CM_Zero
Shadow Artist

Send a message via MSN to CM_Zero

I'm not good at making a tutorial and exlaining things, but I think one of the most important techniques, that made my drawings a lot better was the discovery of how to use paths in Photoshop 7 & up.

A good tutorial on paths would be this, for example:

http://spirallin.deviantart.com/art/...orial-24606718

or these two:

http://sashas.deviantart.com/art/Sas...orial-10513596

http://delya.deviantart.com/art/Pen-...orial-23862090

It may feel awkward at first, but it's great for people like me who aren't exactly good on drawing free-hand. The paths allow you to experiment and change your lineart with ease and very quick.
So, you think the arms of your characters are too big? No problem, just move the paths a bit, make photoshop stroke along them and voila.

My tip for all people with shaky hands and unclean lineart.

BTW: GIMP is free and has paths too, I think.

--> http://cmzero.deviantart.com/ <--

Old January 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #4
lasttransistorhero
Artist

Send a message via AIM to lasttransistorhero

The problem with using paths to ink is that they're never as precise as inking by hand is. Do you use a tablet CM? If so, have you ever considered trying a program link Manga Studio to ink?

As far as tutorials go, I'm pretty knowledgeable about alot of things (photoshop, illustrator) and have putzed around enough in programs like Painter that I feel I can advise, so if anyone wants to know something specific just ask and I may be able to help.

Old January 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #5
CM_Zero
Shadow Artist

Well, it's true that you can control the lines better if you draw by hand, but since I'm really bad with a pen, paths help me a great deal.

As for precision, I think you can have very good results, if you spend some time on making the paths.

I do have a tablet, but I normally don't use it for the lineart. As I said, my drawings done by hand are not very good. Plus, I actually like the pure CG style done with paths very much.

Old January 13th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #6
lasttransistorhero
Artist

Honestly, it could just be that your methodology is flawed. If you do ink by hand, how do you go about it? I mean things like program, brushes, and resolution.

Old January 13th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #7
CM_Zero
Shadow Artist

How I go about drawing a picture?

Well, I would do it like this:

Program would be Photoshop CS and my WaCom tablet and stylus.

First of all use a layer to sketch out the rough content of the picture. Body positions, helplines, etc. For that I would use a high resolution, since the sketch is just meant as a help to make the picture clearer and help with the real drawing.

Next I would be doing the lineart (on a new layer of course) with the stylus as well. This time zooming further in, since the more one zooms in the better the lines get.

After that come colouring, shadeing and other stuff.

So instead of doing the second step, the drawing of the lineart per hand, I usually use paths make it. My results are generally better that way.

Brush would be a photoshop brush with hard edges of 1 or 3 pixels size. I also normally draw a picture in a big resolution of 2000 pixel and resize it to a smaller resolution before completing and uploading it.

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #8
lasttransistorhero
Artist

I would guess that maybe you're just inking at too low of a resolution. I tried inking at around 72-150 DPI and my lines always came out blobby. Now I ink at 600 and it comes out fine.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM   #9
Dave_Mire
Artist

i don't know about the rest a yuz but i can usually do 90% of my shading with just the Burn tool alone.
but i don't quite understand the purpose of the Dodge tool. i use it to make slight shine spots.

Old September 29th, 2021, 10:03 AM   #10
davidcarlisuk
Probationary User

Good photoshop tricks and i have learns new thing from this discussion.

Tags
photoshop, tricks